If you are going through a divorce in New Jersey, you may be concerned about how you can ensure your money is kept safe. Continue reading and reach out to our skilled Bergen County divorce attorney today to learn more. Our legal team is here to help no matter what you are going through.
Ways you can protect your money in a New Jersey divorce:
- Don’t hide your money. Even though it may sound illogical guidance, particularly if you do not trust your former spouse, you will be better off in the long run if you are open about your assets.
- Learn how much money you have. Before you try and protect your money, it is critical to understand what you and your partner have. This is because you can’t protect what you do not know you have.
- Separate your bank accounts. If you do not have your own checking and savings account, you will want to do so as soon as possible. This is because if all of your money is in a joint account, you may be concerned that the other spouse will abruptly withdraw all of it. Unfortunately, this can happen and many courts have witnessed it.
- Bring in a forensic accountant. Not everyone needs a team of high-level professionals working for them to get through a divorce. But, if you have a high net worth and feel your partner is hiding money from you, the aid of a forensic accountant can be essential.
- Make sure the paperwork is filled out correctly. This is especially important to dodge issues down the line. The best way to ensure that your paperwork is properly filled out is by hiring a skilled professional, such as a divorce attorney.
- Remember the “extras” in child support. Take note of the fact that if you are going to receive child support, make sure you add in the extracurricular activities such as camp and soccer gear. This is because the little purchases and big purchases add up, and you do not want to go back to court after the divorce is said and done to get compensated for these costs. By considering this small factor, you can assure you are shielding your expenses in the long run.
- Hire a divorce attorney. If you are unsure about whether or not you will lose access to your money or accounts while going through your divorce, do not wait to hire an experienced Bergen County family law attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.