There are few things more damaging to a person than obtaining a criminal record. That is why we are dedicated to helping people fight unfair criminal charges so they can go on living free, productive lives. Though possessing certain amounts of marijuana may soon be legal in New Jersey, currently, you may face serious consequences of the illegal sale and possession of the drug. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorneys to learn more about the penalties for marijuana charges, and how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am caught in possession of marijuana in New Jersey?
If you are caught with marijuana in New Jersey, you will most likely face the following penalties:
- 50 grams or less: A disorderly person penalty, up to 6 months of incarceration, potential $1,000 fine
- More than 50 grams: Up to 1.5 years of incarceration, potential $25,000 fine
- Within 1,000 feet of a school: Potential 100 hours of community service on top of your initial sentence
Will I go to jail if I am caught selling marijuana in NJ?
If you are caught selling or distributing marijuana in New Jersey, you face a wide array of potential consequences, depending upon the amount you were caught with. The potential consequences of selling marijuana in NJ are as follows:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years of jail time, potential $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years of jail time, potential $25,000 fine
- 5-25 pounds: Up to 10 years in jail, potential $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Up to 20 years of incarceration, potential $300,000 fine
- Selling within 1,000 feet of a school or school bus: Potential 5 years in jail and a $150,000 fine
- The distribution of marijuana to a pregnant woman or a minor: Your sentence may be doubled
If you are facing criminal charges of any kind, you absolutely must retain the services of a knowledgeable New Jersey criminal defense attorney who can aggressively represent your best interests through every step of the process ahead. Do not wait another day–give us a call so we can get started mounting your defense to shield you from the lifelong burdens of a criminal record.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.