Cars are a major part of our daily life. Even if you do not own a car, you likely find yourself carpooling. As a result, it is important to know how car accidents are caused and what to do in the event of an accident. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New Jersey.
Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Some accidents are due to poor road conditions, inclement weather, faulty car parts, and more. That being said, the majority of car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence are as follows:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
Can I Recover Compensation?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you likely deserve compensation. But, in order to recover compensation, you will have to provide proof of negligence. After an accident, be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911- The police can file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene- While waiting for the ambulance, it is important to document the scene. If possible, take pictures and videos of your injuries and any damage done to the vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information. They may be able to provide an important outside perspective.
- Politely ask the other party for their insurance information- After a car accident, it can be difficult to remain calm, but it is important to know that your behavior can play a role in a personal injury case. For example, if you apologize for the accident, this can be misconstrued as an admission of guilt.
- Seek medical attention- Once the ambulance arrives, it is important to seek medical attention. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been involved in a car accident, contact our firm today. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.