Supermarket accidents occur more often than you may realize. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents, how they occur, and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common Causes of Supermarket Accidents
When supermarket owners and employees do not keep the premises maintained at all times, serious accidents can occur. The majority of these accidents are due to:
- Inadequate security
- Inadequate lighting
- Aisle obstructions
- Water spilled on restroom floors
- Broken or defective grocery carts
- Improperly positioned floor mats
- Freshly mopped floors without proper hazard warning signs
- Unstable displays
- Potholes in supermarket parking lots
- Falling debris and falling items from the shelves
- Tainted or spoiled food
- Slippery entrances and exits
- Poor pavement and walkway conditions
Common Injuries Sustained in Supermarket Accidents
Supermarket accidents have caused the following types of injuries:
- Fractured legs
- Cracked pelvis
- Fractured hips
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Fractured wrist or arm
- Fractured skull
- Cuts and bruises
- Head wounds
- Torn ligaments
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of negligence. This can be done by:
- Calling 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Documenting the scene
- If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtaining witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Seeking medical attention
- You should go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contacting an experienced attorney
- A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, you may need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.