There are few auto accidents more damaging and jarring than truck accidents, which is why if you are someone who has been injured in one, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey personal injury attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you through the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after a truck accident?
Though truck accidents frequently put the wrongly injured in shock, especially if you are in a car or another vehicle a fraction of the size of an 18-wheeler, it is always best to do several things after an accident, if you can, to bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. They are as follows:
- Call the police. They will send an ambulance to the scene.
- Ask the truck driver for his/her insurance information, and keep conversation to a minimum.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their email, phone number, or any other means by which they may corroborate your claim in the future.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage to your vehicle.
- Retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney who can subpoena various forms of evidence on your behalf, such as security camera footage and any other form of evidence your attorney deems necessary. From here, your attorney will use this evidence to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence.
How long do I have to sue after sustaining an injury in New Jersey?
All those who have been wrongly injured in the state of New Jersey are allotted a certain amount of time to take legal action against the party responsible for their injuries. This legally-acceptable timeframe is known as the statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New Jersey is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to sue the negligent truck driver. Do not wait any longer than two years, for in most cases, if you do, you will be barred from suing. We are ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today–all you have to do is ask.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
When someone is injured due to another party’s negligence, it is only right that they receive the justice they deserve. As a victim, your only job is to call us, and we will take it from there. Please, do yourself a favor and do not wait. If you or someone you know was injured in an accident and is seeking financial compensation, contact the legal team at McNerny & McAuliffe today. Our firm is also experienced in handling legal matters relating to divorce, family law, criminal law, and more. We are here to help.