Skip to content

Car accidents are devastating, and often leave behind significant pain and suffering. That said, you should note that if you’ve been hurt in a car accident, you may have legal options going forward. However, to recover compensation for the injuries you’ve sustained, you’ll need to satisfy the burden of proof in a personal injury claim. Simply put, you’ll have to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence. Please continue reading and reach out to our knowledgeable Bergen County auto accident attorneys to learn more about what to do after a car accident and how we can help you get the compensation you need to heal. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What steps should I take after being involved in a car accident in NJ?

Though car accidents can happen in a flash, it’s always best to be prepared with a plan. After a car accident, if you can, you should take the following steps:

  • Call 911. The police will write up an accident report and will also send emergency medical services to the scene of the accident.
  • Ask witnesses for their contact information so they may corroborate your claim at a later date.
  • Get the other motorist’s insurance information.
  • Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, your injuries, and any property that was damaged in the accident.
  • Keep copies of all medical documentation associated with your injuries.
  • Speak with our seasoned Bergen County personal injury attorneys who can assess the circumstances of your accident and determine whether you may have a valid personal injury claim.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New Jersey?

In the state of New Jersey, accident victims are required to file their personal injury claim within two years of the date their accident occurred. This timeframe is known as the statute of limitations. If you wait past the statute of limitations, you will likely lose your right to sue. Our legal team is here to listen to your story and fight for the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. You just need to pick up the phone and give us a call so we can get working on your case.


If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, contact McNerney & McAuliffe today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  What Are the Best Ways to Beat a DWI Charge?

If you are accused of driving while intoxicated (DWI), you may be facing some serious consequences. You are potentially up…

Read More
  What Are Common Signs of Financial Fraud in a Divorce?

After your divorce is finalized, this may be the first time in a long time in which you are financially…

Read More