Skip to content

If your former spouse took your child out of the state of New Jersey in violation of a child custody agreement, it is important that you seek legal action to ensure your child’s safety. Reach out to our firm today to speak on this more with a dedicated Bergen County child custody attorney. Our legal team is on your side.

What steps should I take if my ex recently left New Jersey with my child, in violation of our custody agreement?

If your former spouse left the state with your child without the other parent’s permission or permission from the courts, you will need to recognize that this is illegal. The one exception to this may be if the parent and the child are in some kind of danger and they happen to cross state lines while fleeing from that danger. With that being said, if your ex left the state in violation of your custody agreement or is refusing to return your child and you are afraid for your child’s safety, it is critical that you call the police to best protect your child.

It is also essential to acknowledge that in multiple cases, simply violating this agreement, if a child is in danger or not, is adequate enough to merit a modification to the initial custody agreement. These agreements are legal documents and, if they are not followed fully, those who violate them can expect to face certain penalties. Ultimately, the court will have to consider the details of your case and determine whether your ex’s violation is meaningful enough to merit a custody modification.

If you have any additional questions or would like help fighting an allegation of custody agreement violation, give our firm a call today to speak with our committed Bergen County family law attorney.

What changes can be made after a divorce?

Continue reading to see the divorce terms that can be modified in the state of New Jersey:

  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation is changed, the amount that either spouse owes can be requested to be increased or decreased.
  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation changes, they may ask that the amount they owe be adjusted.
  • Child Custody: If either parent or child experiences a change that deems the current custody agreement no longer suitable, child custody can be requested to be revised.


Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  Can I Collect Compensation for Medical Bills in an Injury Claim?

In the immediate hours following your personal injury accident, you may find yourself in the emergency room, with an overnight…

Read More
  What Does a Prenuptial Agreement Include?

In the unfortunate event of divorce, your established prenuptial agreement may offer you great protections that promote a fair and…

Read More