As summer approaches, it is important to know how pool accidents happen and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more.
Pool Safety Precautions
Pools are much more dangerous than you may realize. If a pool owner is negligent, serious accidents can occur. Some important precautions to take include:
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If there is a deep end where guests cannot stand, make sure they are able to swim properly
- Stay away from drains and have covers for them
- Install barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away portable ladders when they are not being used. Sometimes, small children who are unable to swim are attracted to pools. If the ladder is removed safely, the child will not be able to climb into the pool and harm themselves
- It can be beneficial to know how to perform CPR in the event that a swimmer is drowning
- Swim sober
- Keep electronic devices away from the poor to avoid electrocution
- Inform all swimmers of shallow areas where they cannot dive
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to provide proof of this negligence. In order to do this, you should call 911 right away. The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events or provide important information from an outside perspective. If possible, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident and document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur. One of the most important things you can do is to visit the hospital after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you gather further evidence.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pool accident in New Jersey, contact our experienced firm to discuss your case today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.