When truck accidents occur, they are often severe due to the size and weight of trucks. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New Jersey.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can be caused by a number of factors. Some accidents are a result of inclement weather, hazardous road conditions, or mechanical failure. But, for the most part, truck accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Truck drivers work long shifts which can lead to drowsy driving and cause accidents
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Trucks generally require the length of two football fields to come to a complete stop. If a truck driver is speeding, it can be difficult to control the vehicle, resulting in serious accidents.
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What Do I Do After an Accident Occurs?
If you are involved in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. To do this, you should take the following steps.
- Call the police. They will send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Politely ask the truck driver for his/her insurance information, keeping the conversation to a minimum.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their email, phone number, or any other means by which they may corroborate your claim in the future.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage to your vehicle.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who may be able to obtain further evidence such as security camera footage and any other form of evidence your attorney deems necessary.
- File your claim on time. Generally, in New Jersey, you will have two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim. Failing to file on time will likely result in losing your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.