Skip to content

In the months or years after a divorce, things change. For this very reason, New Jersey courts often grant divorced spouses post-judgment modifications to better reflect their current situation in life. If you believe you require a post-judgment modification, please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you through the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some circumstances that may warrant post-judgment modifications in New Jersey?

There are various circumstances that have caused New Jersey courts to award individuals post-judgment modifications in the past. Some of those circumstances are as follows:

  • When one spouse either receives a promotion, a new, higher-paying job, or otherwise comes into a large sum of money, it may constitute a reduction of child support/spousal support payments by the other supporting spouse. That being said, this can also work the opposite way, in that if one spouse receives a demotion or otherwise loses his or her job, it may also require a modification to the child support/spousal support agreement in place.
  • If one spouse moves in with another person (cohabitation), this may also warrant a modification to a spousal support agreement, as the new couple (presumably) will no longer need the other spouse’s paycheck for support.
  • If your child has a change in schedule, such as taking on a new sport, it may warrant a child custody modification, especially if one parent is unable to participate in picking up/dropping off the child at these events due to work or other obligations.
  • If one parent exposes a child to an instance of substance abuse, domestic abuse, or any other behavior that may call that parent’s parental fitness into question, this will most likely warrant a post-judgment modification to the child custody agreement as well.

How do I receive a post-judgment modification in New Jersey?

If you are someone who wishes to receive a post-judgment modification, you will have to hire an experienced New Jersey family law attorney who can work to prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances. Our firm can use financial records, police reports, school records, and any other information that may be necessary in proving as much to help you receive the post-judgment modification you deserve.


Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  Will My DWI Show Up on a Background Check?

You may have experienced a momentary lapse of judgment when you decided to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol…

Read More
  Fighting Custody Interference

Mark McAuliffe, of McNerney & McAuliffe, recently defeated a frivolous emergent application to modify a consensual custody arrangement and ensured…

Read More