Our firm recognizes the physical, emotional, and financial impact a car accident can have on an individual. That is why if you have been hurt in one due to another’s negligence, you will need to reach out to one of our experienced Bergen County auto accident attorneys today to discuss your options.
What are the common causes of car accidents in New Jersey?
There are a number of different ways that a car accident can occur. In some cases, these accidents are a result of poor road conditions, inclement weather, faulty car parts, and more. However, most car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include the following:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
Can I recover compensation after my injury?
You may be entitled to financial compensation if you were injured as a result of another party’s negligence. However, in order to recover compensation, you will have to show proof of negligence. If you are able, be sure to take the following steps after your accident:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. Take pictures and videos of your injuries and any damage done to the vehicles and other property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. Ask for the contact information of anyone who witnessed your accident occurring. Witness testimony can be an important component of a personal injury claim.
- Ask the other party for their insurance information. After a car accident, it may be hard to remain calm, however, it is important to note that your behavior can play a role in a personal injury case. For instance, if you apologize for the accident, this can be misinterpreted as an admission of guilt.
- Seek medical attention. This will make sure that your injuries are properly treated while also providing you with evidence pointing to the origin and extent of your injuries.
Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today if you were injured in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence. Our skilled Bergen County auto accident attorneys are on your side and will fight for you and your rights.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.