Slip and fall accidents happen nearly every day in New Jersey, and though they oftentimes do not result in serious injury, they very often do. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County personal injury attorneys to learn more about these accidents and how we can help you win a claim if you have been injured in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after being injured in a slip and fall accident?
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, as long as you are physically capable, you should take several steps to ensure you bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim.
- First, call the police. They will send an ambulance to transport you to a hospital for medical treatment.
- Take pictures of the unsafe conditions that caused your accident.
- Ask any witnesses of the accident for their name, phone number, and email.
- Ensure you receive all medical documentation relating to your injuries from your doctor.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable New Jersey personal injury attorney who can prove that the property owner knew, or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions present, failed to take action to fix them and that you were directly injured and suffered damages as a result of that property owner’s negligence.
How long do I have to sue for an injury sustained in a slip and fall accident?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may simply wish to wait to see if your injuries heal on their own before taking legal action against another party. Unfortunately, this decision may come back to haunt you, as there is a statute of limitations in place that dictates the amount of time people have to take legal action against a liable party in New Jersey. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in NJ is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to sue. If you wait any longer than two years, you will most likely be barred from suing. Do not let this happen. We are ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
When someone is injured due to another party’s negligence, it is only right that they receive the justice they deserve. As a victim, your only job is to call us, and we will take it from there. Please, do yourself a favor and do not wait. If you or someone you know was injured in an accident and is seeking financial compensation, contact the legal team at McNerny & McAuliffe today. Our firm is also experienced in handling legal matters relating to divorce, family law, criminal law, and more. We are here to help.