Are you planning on lighting fireworks on the Fourth of July? Are you planning on attending a party where the host will be lighting fireworks? In either case, it is important to be educated about firework safety. When it comes to fireworks, acting negligently can lead to serious, life-threatening injuries. Read on to learn more about firework safety in New Jersey and some of the best ways to stay safe this holiday weekend.
Preparing to Light Fireworks- What to Know
There are a number of important steps to take before you light your fireworks. Make sure to follow these guidelines to help keep the scene as safe as possible:
- Make sure you buying legal fireworks
- Do not buy fireworks that are in brown paper. These are to be used by professionals and not in small neighborhoods. Igniting them in an enclosed area can put surrounding people in danger.
- Adults must be present
- Children should not have access to fireworks on their own
- Keep a hose or bucket of water nearby in the event of a fire
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Do not ignite fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Keep pets inside
What Do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks Safely?
In order to keep yourself and those around you safe, make sure you:
- Wear eye protection
- Do not light more than one firework at a time
- Never ignite fireworks indoors
- Do not light a firework in your hands
- Keep all spectators at a safe distance away from the display after lighting it
- Never throw or point fireworks at another person
- Do not relight a firework that did not properly ignite the first time
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes before dousing it in cold water and throwing it away
- Do not consume drugs or alcohol when handling fireworks
If you have been injured in a firework accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.