Skip to content

As you know, divorce is an inherently emotional issue. However, if you are a divorcing parent, there is a good chance that you and your former spouse recognize the importance of setting your differences aside and working together to raise your child in a safe, stable environment. Unfortunately, in many cases, when spouses divorce, their emotions get the best of them, and in the worst cases, they direct this hostility towards their children. If you are a divorced parent and you believe that your former spouse is working to sabotage your relationship with your child, there is a very good chance that you and your child are victims of what is known as parental alienation.

This form of behavior is unacceptable, though many people partake in it. Unfortunately, all of the experts will tell you that acting in such a way not only damages the special bond between parent and child, but it also can cause childhood trauma, thus affecting your child potentially for the rest of his or her life. Parental alienation can come in many shapes and sizes, ranging from passive remarks about the other parent to outright insults about the other parent, or other actions taken to portray the parent in a bad light. No matter the circumstances, if you believe your child is being manipulated by your former spouse, you are most likely looking to take action. Our Bergen County family law attorney is here to help.

How can I put an end to parental alienation?

Of course, the specifics of your particular situation will largely affect the strategy we choose to pursue to put an end to the parental alienation, one of the most common and efficient ways to stop this behavior is by requesting a child custody modification. As long as we can prove that your former spouse is violating the terms of your child custody agreement by deliberately not acting in his or her best interests, there is a very good chance that we will be able to modify your child custody agreement to limit the amount of time your former spouse spends with your child. If you wish to take action against your former spouse, our New Jersey family law attorney is ready to assist you. All you have to do is give our firm a call.


Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  Can I Establish Alimony in a Prenuptial Agreement?

The essential purpose of a prenuptial agreement is so that you may ensure your financial protection in the unfortunate event…

Read More
  When Is Sole Custody Granted in a Divorce Case?

If you are granted sole physical custody over your child, that means that your child will primarily reside with you…

Read More