Skip to content

You may not necessarily agree with the joint custody order that the New Jersey family court arranged in your divorce settlement. What’s more, you may not necessarily get along with your former spouse since you have parted ways. But for the sake of your child’s happiness and overall best interest, you and your former spouse must find a way to make this work.¬†Follow along to find out the common challenges encountered with a joint custody arrangement and how a proficient Bergen County child custody attorney at McNerney & McAuliffe can help you and your spouse work to overcome them.

What are the common challenges faced in joint custody arrangements?

Typically, the challenges that come along with a joint custody arrangement have to do with co-parenting. Understandably so, as this is likely the first time that you and your former spouse alike have had to navigate such a dynamic. More specific examples of common challenges read as follows:

  • You and your former spouse may disagree on how to discipline your child in each of your households (i.e., breaking your child’s “grounded” term when they transition to your care).
  • You and your former spouse may disagree on the daily schedules and routines that your child should follow (i.e., setting a later bedtime when your child is under your care).
  • You and your former spouse may disagree on who carries certain responsibilities in the raising of your child (i.e., assuming your former spouse is more financially responsible for your child).

What can my former spouse and I do to overcome these challenges?

While it is easier said than done, the best way to overcome custody challenges with your former spouse may be to be the bigger person and avoid any unnecessary conflicts. Though it would also benefit both you and your former spouse to know that there is such a thing as co-parenting counseling. Here, you and your former spouse may work with a neutral third party to build healthy skills in communicating, resolving conflicts, setting boundaries, and more.

However, sometimes circumstances change, and your once caring, loving, and attentive former spouse may no longer be parentally fit to hold custody over your child. So if your issues with your joint custody arrangement stem from concerns about your child’s safety, then you may file a post-judgment modification with the New Jersey family court. But if you believe that your child is in imminent danger when under the care of your former spouse, then you may go as far as filing an emergency petition.

Even if you are just considering filing a post-judgment modification, it is best that you first consult with a talented Bergen County family law attorney. So please contact us at McNerney & McAuliffe today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  Can I Collect Compensation for Medical Bills in an Injury Claim?

In the immediate hours following your personal injury accident, you may find yourself in the emergency room, with an overnight…

Read More
  What Does a Prenuptial Agreement Include?

In the unfortunate event of divorce, your established prenuptial agreement may offer you great protections that promote a fair and…

Read More