Skip to content

When a couple gets divorced, there are a number of matters to determine. You may create child support, child custody, and alimony agreements. But, sometimes changes occur and these arrangements no longer matter. In this case, you may need a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What are Some Circumstances that may Warrant Post-Judgment Modifications?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a post-judgment modification in New Jersey. Some examples include:

  • When one spouse either receives a promotion, a new, higher-paying job, or otherwise comes into a large sum of money, it may constitute a reduction of child support/spousal support payments by the other supporting spouse. That being said, this can also work the opposite way, in that if one spouse receives a demotion or otherwise loses his or her job, it may also require a modification to the child support/spousal support agreement in place.
  • If one spouse moves in with another person (cohabitation), this may also warrant a modification to a spousal support agreement, as the new couple (presumably) will no longer need the other spouse’s paycheck for support.
  • If your child has a change in schedule, such as taking on a new sport, it may warrant a child custody modification, especially if one parent is unable to participate in picking up/dropping off the child at these events due to work or other obligations.
  • If one parent exposes a child to an instance of substance abuse, domestic abuse, or any other behavior that may call that parent’s parental fitness into question, this will most likely warrant a post-judgment modification to the child custody agreement as well.

How Can I Receive a Post-Judgment Modification in New Jersey?

If you are someone who wishes to receive a post-judgment modification, you will have to hire a  New Jersey family law attorney who can work to prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances. It can be difficult to provide this proof, so you should work with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney.

If you need a post-judgment modification, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled family law attorney.


Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  Can I Collect Compensation for Medical Bills in an Injury Claim?

In the immediate hours following your personal injury accident, you may find yourself in the emergency room, with an overnight…

Read More
  What Does a Prenuptial Agreement Include?

In the unfortunate event of divorce, your established prenuptial agreement may offer you great protections that promote a fair and…

Read More