Driving while intoxicated can lead to serious accidents. As a result, New Jersey has passed some laws in order to crack down on drunk driving. For example, New Jersey’s dram shop law means that a bar or restaurant can be held accountable for serving customers who later get involved in drunk driving accidents. Read on to learn more.
What Are Dram Shop Laws?
In an effort to reduce some of the drunk driving accidents in New Jersey, the state has enacted Dram Shop Laws. These laws hold bars and restaurants accountable for over-serving an individual who was clearly intoxicated and then went on to cause injuries to others in a drunk driving accident.
What do I do if an Injury Occurs?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred. In order to do so, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document any damage down to all vehicles involved.
- Obtain witness statements. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. One of the most important things to do is visit the hospital immediately after an accident. Even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured, it is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Before leaving the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
- File your claim on time. In New Jersey, you will generally have two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim. Failing to do so will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to another party’s negligence, contact our firm today. We are here to fight for you and help make sure that you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.