What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents can be caused by any number of reasons: faulty car parts, poor weather conditions, hazardous roads, etc. But, most car accidents are caused by driver negligence. Some examples of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a few important steps you should take.
- Call the police: they can help direct traffic, take witness statements, conduct chemical tests, etc.
- Seek medical attention: even if you do not believe you are injured, it is important to go to the hospital anyway.
- Document the scene: collecting evidence is important. To do this, you should take photos and videos of the accident and any damages that have occurred.
- Make sure you file in time: if you wish to take legal action, you will have to file your personal injury claim by a certain deadline. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, in the state of New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the accident.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney: an attorney can help you gather evidence, file your claims, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident in New Jersey, call our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW JERSEY FIRM
Here at McNerney & McAuliffe, we understand how confusing certain legal matters can be, which is why we are here to provide clients from all walks of life with the experienced, compassionate legal guidance they need. If you require the legal assistance of an attorney to help you through a criminal law matter, personal injury matter, family law matter, or otherwise, you can turn to us. Contact McNerney & McAuliffe today to learn more about what we can do for you.